Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Day 152: June 1, 2011

I had an afternoon that can be described as simply sublime. Or simple and sublime. 

The sun came out. 
I had a nice walk. 
Then I strolled through the farmer's market grabbing beautiful ingredients for dinner. I now, like the farmers, appreciate the Summer's bounty so much more now that we buy most of our produce straight from the farmers themselves. I had a very distorted view of seasonal produce when I shopped at grocery stores where you can find strawberries and melons all year. I love seeing the market change with the seasons and adjusting my cooking accordingly. 

Today I am thankful for steel drums.

There was a steel drum band playing my farmer's market soundtrack and it made me want to browse and browse. Unfortunately, it's a small market. And the nectarine lady was sick of me coming around for more samples. The drum music always puts me in a vacationy, summery mood, and the sun beating down only helped with that. 

At home, I turned on some island grooves to keep the sentiment while I whipped up some equally summery dishes: Shaved Summer Squash Salad and eggplant lasagna. 
Yay Summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm always *thankful* for your comments- they make me smile:)