Monday, December 12, 2011

Day 345: December 10, 2011

Today I'm thankful for Union Square.

We braved the crowds (although at times I thought the crowds might claim me) for some Christmas shopping.
Very few things put me more in the holiday spirit than Union Square in December. Huge tree (actually multiples, because Neiman Marcus hung a giant version in their store as well), festive ice skating rink, Macy's SPCA window displays of adoptable animals...and lots of merry shoppers.
My favorite stop was Gump's where we found our 2011 ornament, a golden glass Buddha in memory of our trip to Thailand.


I have never visited Gump's, so I had no idea what was in store for me, but it was pretty much a holiday heaven. Thousands of ornaments, toys, and art. Awesome. We also took home a mushroom for the tree which we found out from a Gump's elf is more than just pretty, it is considered by some to be the source of all that red, white, and green associated with Christmas (and maybe more...read on)!


Aside from the holiday joy, today's Union Square excitement included almost being consumed by the Occupy SF parade. It was every man for himself, I'm telling you!

1 comment:

  1. your new ornaments are beautiful! also, thanks for the christmas tree history lesson you sent me - don't worry, i shared it with sasha for sure. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I'm always *thankful* for your comments- they make me smile:)