Thursday, April 21, 2011

Day 110: April 20, 2011

Today I am thankful for small (and luckily also brief) views into the year 1969. 

I live only a few blocks from the infamous Haight and Ashbury intersection. For me, this is significant mainly because there is a Ben and Jerry's Ice cream store located there, but I also realize that it played a pivotal role in the "Summer of Love". The only time I even realize that I'm crossing through the famous intersection is when my path is interrupted by tourists taking their pictures in front of the street signs :)

Today was different. Today I knew where I lived. I felt it. I smelled it.
 I was at work for the majority of the day, with a bird's eye view of Golden Gate Park. In the morning I noticed quite a crowd in the park which I thought was sort of unusual for an overcast day. 
Later in the day I saw a steady stream of people making their way into the park.
Later even, I noticed a mob.
Hmm. Why are there so many people on the nicknamed "Hippie Hill"? 
And then it was 4:20. And there was a plume of smoke. Got it.

It was funny to watch my neighborhood be transported back to its hippie heyday. I am kind of surprised that so many people mustered up the motivation to get off the couch, put down the brownies, and get here!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm always *thankful* for your comments- they make me smile:)