Monday, April 4, 2011

Day 93: April 3, 2011

Today I am thankful for new challenges. Especially when they're fun and involve food. Last year, while waiting to have my teeth cleaned at the Dentist, I stumbled upon an article in 7X7 Magazine entitled: The Big Eat 2010- 100 Things to Try Before You Die.  I was immediately drawn to the article by the picture of fried chicken and waffles from Little Skillet. As a super fan of anything sweet and salty, the picture grabbed me by my growling stomach and pulled me in. My mouth started watering and my stomach started growling. And then the receptionist called my name and all thoughts of chicken and waffles were replaced with mint, mint, and more mint.

The husband and I sampled several of the hundred meals on the list last year, but we did not make a very big dent. Then today, as if sent from heaven, the 2011 list popped up as a result of a google search for something. Many of the items are the same from last year: Coffee-rubbed pork shoulder at Range, Secret Breakfast Cereal at Humphry Slocombe, but there are also some fabulous new additions that I can't wait to try. So, a challenge was born. We don't expect to eat every one of the meals by 2012, after all, we are starting three months late, but I think we'll have fun trying!

For our first items, we headed to the Mission District and stopped first at Little Star Pizza. I don't know why we started with something that we've already tried...OK, maybe I do...because it's AWESOME! I ordered the Classic deep dish pizza and Nick got the namesake, Little Star. I could eat the crust all day, everyday. It is perfectly crunchy, chock full of cornmeal, and so, so delicious.

Then we ventured to another Mission hot spot, Bi-Rite Creamery. Again with the sweet and salty addiction, when I saw Salted Caramel Ice Cream on the list, I had to have it. When we arrived there was a line wrapping around the building, not bad for a chilly San Francisco night! Lucky for us, the regular size ice cream allows you to try two or three different flavors, because they all sounded amazingly yummy. Before I made my decisions, I had to sample Honey Lavender and Orange Cardamom because they sounded so different. Both good, but the sample spoon was enough to satisfy my curiosity. I ordered Coffee Toffee made with Ritual Coffee, Vanilla with Peanut Brittle, and the famous Salted Caramel. The Salted Caramel was definitely the winner, but Coffee Toffee put up quite a challenge. Nick ordered Coffee Toffee, Ricanelas (cinnamon with Snickerdoodles), and Roasted Banana.

Currently at seven out of one hundred, I'm ready to conquer the list, one by one! Yum!


1 comment:

  1. super fun idea! i love trying new places - yummy adventures. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm always *thankful* for your comments- they make me smile:)