Thursday, July 7, 2011

Day 187: July 6, 2011

Seven of my colleagues retired at the end of June and today was the retirement party. One week into retirement and these ladies look fabulous. Relaxed, practically glowing, and young! Because they are young!
Most of them have been working at UCSF for thirty years; for most of them that has been their entire career. One of my mentors who is retiring at the whopping age of fifty-two, has been in the Intensive Care Nursery since she graduated college at twenty-two, the same age that I was when I started. She brought a scrap book of her years at UC and it made me think about my own career. How it started, how it has evolved, and where it is going. If someone had told me when I started that I would still be in the same hospital, in the same department when I retired, I would have laughed in their face. I was non-committal, looking for adventure, and ready to travel the country as a nurse.
But now thirty years doesn't seem so long. And staying in a job that I love doesn't seem like such a bad plan. I'm still ready to travel the country (and world), but not necessarily as a nurse.

Today I am thankful for the retirees.

I am thankful for the knowledge they have shared with me and for making retirement look so good. Something to look forward to:)

1 comment:

  1. not to mention LUCKY. that's amazing that they can retire so young. so cool!

    ReplyDelete

I'm always *thankful* for your comments- they make me smile:)